Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rain, Rain Go Away!



According to everyone in Barcelona, it rarely rains. If it does rain, it is only for an hour or two at the most. This weekend, it rained for three days straight. Despite the rain, we decided to explore the city. 

On Friday, we went to the Mont Magica (Magic Fountain). They have a few shows with music and lights to go along with the waterso we decided to check it. We though the fountain was in front of the Castle at Montjuic, but we were wrong. Very wrong. The castle at Montjuic stands at the top of the mountain. The fountain was at the bottom. We went four metro stops past our location. On the map, we noticed that we could get to the fountain by a cable car so we went to the cable cars only to find out it stops running at 6. It was 6:15. I decided to use a map that we found posted on the side of the street. I took a picture of it with my phone and decided to test some of my navigation skills. During our walk, we could see the all of the city from the mountain.
This picture does not even begin to capture the unbelievable view! 
Luckily, I inherited some of my Dad's navigation skills because I got us to the fountain after a 20 minutes walk. We had to wait a few minutes for a new show to start. The first show used English songs and the second show used Spainish songs. The fountain shows were amazing! 

On Saturday, Brittany and I decided to take a double decker tour bus around the city since it was rainy and cold. The tour bus literally took us to every monument and notable location in Barcelona. The pictures didn't turn out great because of the rain. I will post some when I return to these locations on a day with better weather. 

On Sunday, we went to the City History Museum. There were artifacts dating back to the Roman city of Barcino. Underneath the museum are the remains of the Roman ruins of Barcino. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. The elevator took us down and we got to walk through the ruins that they found.





A model of Barcino

Unfortunately, my adventures in the cold rain have lead to a cold. Hopefully I will be better by Saturday for the FC Barcelona soccer game!






No comments:

Post a Comment